Worship Service each Sunday including the observance of the Lord’s Supper. 1. A planned order of service.
Select men to serve communion every quarter as well as appointing the men to serve communion to the Shut-ins, in their homes, Nursing Homes, and Hospitals. (Have schedule typed and 12-15 copies run by the office to be available in the front foyer.)
Select people to prepare communion each year in November for the following year January-December & give each a copy. –Use the schedule for the previous year to prepare the new schedule. In Nov. Each year have a note put in the Sunday bulletin asking if any changes should be made. You may have someone drop out and have to select others to fill that space.
Select men & women for preparation of baptisms including assisting those who have come forward, as well as the laundering of baptismal garments & towels.
Select someone to care for the ordering of communion unleavened bread, cups & juice.
(The office has information on ordering.) Please keep the office informed of when to order.
Special Sunday Services and Candlelight Communion:
1. (March or April) Easter Candlelight Communion–7:00 PM Thursday evening before Easter A. Advanced preparation is essential–if supplies need to be ordered. (At least a month before.)
Check supply of candles-they may have to be ordered. Tapered 12" candles can be ordered from DeeDee’s here in town. All others have been ordered from Autom. The office has the information on ordering.
Also, check candleholders–be sure none are cracked, if so throw away as they will leak candle wax. They will need to be washed. (if wax is stuck in bottom, place in freezer overnight &wax will break right out. (Clear ones for Easter) Check the tablecloth for the communion table–it may need washing. Very delicate.
All candles, candle cups, tablecloth and supplies are in the closet in the first classroom on the right after coming upstairs. If you have a key for side door, it works, if not checks with office.
Select someone to ask others about special music and to read scripture.
Check with office about previous years bulletin, get copy, to help organize the service.
Select people to be candle lighters. (Try to pick some one that hasn’t got to do it before, kids or family.
Select 2 men to serve at the table. (Usually Elders)
B. Easter Sunrise Service
o Get a bulletin from office on this service to for a guideline.
o Select someone for special music.
§ Select someone to read scripture
2. May–Mother’s Day
· Select gift for the Mother’s —to be given out during Sunday morning worship.
· Note: The last few years instead of giving a gift to Mother’s, a gift of $100.00 has been given to Oblong Christian Children’s Home in recognition of our mothers. Secretary sends a letter along with the check recognizing the reason for this gift to them. Flower for the Oldest Mother.
3. Graduation Sunday of all 8th Graders and High School.
· Select gift for Graduates –to be given out during Sunday morning worship. Last few years a gift certificate $25.00 has been given to each from a Christian Store
4. May–Memorial Day
· Ask Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts for flag presentation. (Call Scouts leaders a month in advance.
5. June Father’s Day
· Select gift for Father’s to be given out during Sunday morning worship.
· Note: The last few years instead of giving a gift to Father’s, a gift of $100.00 has been given to Oblong Christian Children’s Home in recognition of our fathers. Secretary sends a letter along with the check recognizing the reason for this gift.
6. July 4th (Sunday prior to)
· Ask Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts for flag presentation.
· Call Scout leaders a month in advance.
7. October Homecoming
· Select a guest speaker.
· Select special music.
· Select someone to read the history of the church.
· You can get a previous years bulletin from office to help you with this.
8. November–Veteran’s Day (Sunday prior to same Sunday as Freedom Day Dinner.)
· October 1st–have a note put in the bulletin for those who may not have been attending last year to please let the office know their name and branch of service so we don’t miss anyone.
o Select a gift for veteran’s or not –to be given out during Sunday morning worship. (Last few years we have not given a gift)
o Ask Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts for flag presentation. (Call Scout Leaders a month in advance)
9. December–Christmas Eve Candlelight Service
• Advanced preparation is essential.
o Check supply of candles (same as above for Easter Candlelight Service)
o Check the candleholders–(Red ones for Christmas.) Be sure none are cracked. They will need to be washed –for your information, if wax is in candleholders, put in freezer for a while or overnight, then it will pop right out.
o Check the tablecloth for the communion table–it may need to be washed.
o Select someone to ask others about special music and to read scripture.
o Check with the office about bulletins from previous years to help organize the service.
o Select people to be candle lighters. (Same way as Easter Candlelight Services)
o Select 2-men to serve at the table. (Usually Elders)